Missing younger generation

Issues relating to young naturists

Moderator: Moderators

Missing younger generation

Postby BrianR on Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:57 am

Back in the 70s and 80s when I first became a naturist, it was very much a family affair generally. When my children were younger and into their teens we took holidays in France as well as visited beaches in the UK. There were plenty of others their age both here and abroad. In the last couple of decades I've noticed a decline in teens on UK beaches. We don't holiday in France any more as we prefer to keep travelling to a minimum so I have no idea of the trends outside of the country. Whereas textile beaches are still places for the whole family to enjoy and single adults are rare, the opposite seems to be the case at naturist locations. I can't remember the last time I saw teens at a naturist beach in Britain.

Image is very much more of an issue for the younger generation than it used to be and I'm wondering if that has had a knock on effect on youths in naturism. Is there more pressure on teens to conform these days and most prefer do distance themselves from activities that could generate negativity from peers? Is there still a thriving community of teen naturists in other parts of the world and its only the UK that has suffered? I'm interest in other people's views and observations.
BrianR
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Re: Missing younger generation

Postby c5nus on Mon May 02, 2016 10:04 am

We (as a family with since recently one minor remaining) like to spend some time in summer at Arnaoutchot on the French Atlantic coast.

While there have always been lots of kids (with their families) up to about 15 years of age we had seen a distinctly lower number of visitors in the 16 to 25 age group beyond that many young couples are present.

However, last year my wife and I noticed a significantly increased number of older teens and young adults with a majority of them being girls. Whether that will become a confirmed trend we will have to see.

Christoph
c5nus
T-shirt and shorts
T-shirt and shorts

Postby nudecamper on Tue May 03, 2016 8:05 am

Ime it works like this Brian. Naturist parents take their kids naturist camping. Naturist beaches in France & Spain that front coastal naturist campsites are full of families. Naturist beaches in UK & Europe that are not part of naturist campsites generally are populated with single males & are often gay meeting areas as well so families tend to avoid them.

As kids grow into teens they often become reluctant naturists wanting to cover up & naturist sites are generally sympathetic to this. As the teens get older they may choose to no longer take naturist holidays with their parents. Once those teens are adults with their own families they may or may not rediscover naturism & if they do then the cycle starts again.

Does that make sense to you Brian? What do you think?
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby nudecamper on Wed May 11, 2016 11:12 am

Do you not wish to engage further with the discussion you started Brian?
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby barbirolli on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:25 pm

BrianR wrote:Back in the 70s and 80s when I first became a naturist, it was very much a family affair generally. When my children were younger and into their teens we took holidays in France as well as visited beaches in the UK. There were plenty of others their age both here and abroad...Image is very much more of an issue for the younger generation than it used to be and I'm wondering if that has had a knock on effect on youths in naturism. Is there more pressure on teens to conform these days and most prefer do distance themselves from activities that could generate negativity from peers?

I don't think there is any question that this is true. Moreover, social nakedness itself has acquired a bad image since those times within the educational classes. In the mid 80s I found myself in the nude on a school trip in a Belgian hostel sharing a communal shower with 7 or 8 naked teenage boys. Not only was this permissible, it was actually expected of me as the ÔÇ£responsible adultÔÇØ looking after that bunch. Could this happen now, never mind whether it would be the expected thing to do? I suspect, probably not, so why not? Before this incident, I detected a certain wariness of me amongst them, a complete stranger, but afterwards, there wasn't any reluctance to communicate and there was a very friendly and open relationship between us for the rest of the trip. A very positive result.

What interests me is: what to do to reverse the inculcation of fear in children and young people of social nudity, both amongst themselves and with older people? I think this should happen, obviously, but what practical steps can be taken both in and out of school to convert this fear into healthy curiousity about naturism, and then to encourage a desire in them to experience and explore its benefits?
barbirolli
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby nudecamper on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:56 pm

Certainly not true at CHM Montalivet campsite in France where I am now. No missing nude younger generation here. But naturism is about free choice. Once one is grown up one has the free choice whether to be a naturist or not.
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby nudecamper on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:45 am

The only thing missing now is BrianR. :mrgreen:
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby northlondoner on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:08 pm

I think camera phones have had an impact, both on naturism and indeed topless sunbathing.
northlondoner
Topless
Topless

Postby FrankT on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:42 pm

northlondoner wrote:I think camera phones have had an impact, both on naturism and indeed topless sunbathing.

I think you have it exactly right. People (including young people) may be perfectly comfortable being nude among other naturists. But they are NOT comfortable thinking their pictures may wind up out there for anyone to see.
FrankT

Postby Fellsnude on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:09 am

It could also be part of the general "stranger-danger" culture that children have been brought up with over the last 20 years or more. Quite apart from naturism, I've noticed that younger people are generally much less likely to exchange greetings when out on country walks.

Even our neighbours' kids don't say hello in our quiet, safe, residential road, when they've known us all their lives. In the 60s we were taught to never take sweets from, or go with, a stranger, but we were still taught to be friendly and polite to the older neighbours!

Combine the learned fear of older adults with the mobile phone and social media phenomena, plus the sad tendency of some naturist beaches to attract swingers and others of, shall we say, a sexually adventurous nature, and you have a very naturism-unfriendly culture.
Fellsnude
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby calgarymark42 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Well said, FrankT and Fellsnude.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Return to Teenagers