Football Team Names (Politically Correct?)

Jokes and other things to brighten the day

Moderator: Moderators

Football Team Names (Politically Correct?)

Postby calgarymark42 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:39 am

The Washington Redskins finally drop offensive name:

Dan Snyder, owner of the NFL Redskins, has announced that the team is dropping " Washington " from the team name, and it will henceforth be simply known as, "The Redskins.ÔÇØ

It was reported that he finds the word 'Washington' imparts a negative image of poor leadership, mismanagement, corruption, cheating, lying, and graft, and is not a fitting role-model for young fans of football.

This weekend, the Calgary Stampeders will challenge the Ottawa Red Blacks (yes, that's really their name!) in Toronto for the Grey Cup. Go Stamps!
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Re: Football Team Names (Politically Correct?)

Postby Nia on Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:42 am

Funny, but actually the Local NFL Team shouldn't be called "Washington" because they haven't played in Washington since the 1990s. :P (says the Jersey girl who tires of "New York" teams not acknowledging NJ even though they play there)

We watched the last half hour or so of the Grey Cup. Sorry about your Stampeders. Maddy is an Alouettes fan because they used to play in Baltimore. She was rooting against Ottawa too. :D
Nia
T-shirt and shorts
T-shirt and shorts

Postby nudewalker on Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:21 pm

I'm glad you made this post as I enjoyed the game and the overtime excitement. Seems like this is the year of long lost champions however: Cleveland's first since the 1950's, the Cub's first win in 108 years and now Ottawa's 20 year drought! At this rate I guess the Ny/NJ Jets are due next?
nudewalker
Topless
Topless

Postby calgarymark42 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks for the sympathy, Nia and Nudewalker. I had hoped for a win, but I still fail to see the justification for dragging out a 60 minute game to nearly 4 hours! (I'm no big fan of any football game, whether CFL, NFL, or 'other'). Probably has something to do with advertising ... At least a 90 minute soccer (football) game only takes 90 minutes plus a little injury time, plus half-time. I too only watched the second half and O/T of the Grey Cup - I guess we got the exciting bit!

No, I didn't drink a cup of Earl Grey's tea ... which leads me on to:

Several years ago I went with a few other Toastmasters from Whitehorse, YT (our home at the time) to the (international!) speech competition in the next nearest big city (Anchorage, AK). I was entered in the 'humorous' competition, and my speech dealt with drinking and driving. My theme was that the problem is we aren't taught to do it properly in 'driver ed.', which is why accidents 'happen' and I went on to give a speech about how to d&d safely (note - this was not about driving under the affluence of incohol). It was a good speech and I was told it would have won if I hadn't been D/Qd for running over the allotted time. Obviously the effect of the enthusiastic and long-running interruptions / applause!

A number of the audience, mostly Americans, noted my so-called 'English' accent* and instead of offering me coffee after dinner presumed I would prefer tea. I politely declined, 'as Americans don't know how to make a decent cup of tea - ever since they tried making it with cold salt water in Boston Harbour'. I was - still am! - grateful for being able to still tell that tale.

* I contend that only the English speak English, and everyone else speaks English with a 'foreign' accent.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Postby cony on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:26 am

calgarymark42 wrote:.....* I contend that only the English speak English, and everyone else speaks English with a 'foreign' accent.

and different spellings!

Cony 8)
cony
Sarong
Sarong

Postby calgarymark42 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:23 pm

cony wrote:
calgarymark42 wrote:.....* I contend that only the English speak English, and everyone else speaks English with a 'foreign' accent.

and different spellings!

Cony 8)

You're write, of course! :cry:
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Postby cony on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:26 pm

calgarymark42 wrote:
cony wrote:

and different spellings!

Cony 8)

You're write, of course! :cry:

off corse i am

Cony 8)
cony
Sarong
Sarong

Return to Humour