Sydney Harbor

Moderator: Moderators

Sydney Harbor

Postby New_Adventurer on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 am

Later this year I will be traveling to Australia as part of a tour group. The tentative schedule includes an afternoon of unscheduled time so we can do sightseeing on our own and I would like to visit one of the nude beaches in Sydney harbor. Does anyone on the forum have knowledge of which would be the best choice? I would be arriving by taxi from the hotel and also need a method to call another taxi for the return trip a few hours later.
New_Adventurer
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Re: Sydney Harbor

Postby aussieian on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:50 pm

From time to time I travel by public transport from my home, approximately one hundred kilometres south of Sydney, to Cobblers Beach on Sydney Harbour, in the Sydney suburb of Mosman.

You can obviously take a cab from Sydney CBD to the beach - the closest "location" address to the beach is the Middle Head Cafe at 1110 Middle Head Road, Mosman. From there it's about a 600-700 metre walk to the beach. The very nice people in the cafe will give you directions to Cobblers Beach. They are relative newcomers to Australia from France and are, I suspect, occasional visitors to Cobblers Beach. Although it's only twelve kilometres from the centre of the CBD (for instance, Martin Place) to the cafe, a taxi journey will not be cheap, and will include a tariff for crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I haven't used taxis for years, but I would imagine the cab driver would be happy to make a return booking. Check as soon as you enter the taxi.

If you had time, you could alternatively catch a Route 244 Government bus to Chowder Bay from Stand A in Carrington Street, Sydney, behind Wynyard Railway Station. The service runs hourly and the trip takes about thirty minutes. You alight at the roundabout at the intersection of Middle Head Road and Chowder Bay Road, outside the naval base, about 200 metres from the Middle Head Cafe. The 244 bus service back into Sydney leaves from across the road, also opposite the HMAS Penguin naval base. For bus travel, you need to pre-purchase your ticket(s). Most newsagents and convenience stores act as ticketing agents. Your motel will probably help you in this regard.

And the good news is ..... Cobblers Beach is a legally nude beach. However, nudity is confined to the sandy area, not the grass verges.

Yours naturally,
AussieIan.
aussieian
Topless
Topless

Postby New_Adventurer on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:30 am

Thank you, aussieian, for your information and suggestions. I did some research on the beach and the bus transportation and decided that bus the way to go. Walk 300 meters from the hotel to the bus stop, travel on the bus for 35 minutes, walk 200 meters to the beach, get to the sandy area, and then get naked for an hour or so. I have been in the Pacific Ocean on the Southern California coast, the Gulf of Mexico off of Galveston, splashed by the North Sea on the Isle of Skye, and am looking forward to the getting wet in the South Atlantic; as well as crossing the equator and the date line on the same trip.
New_Adventurer
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Re: Sydney Harbour

Postby aussieian on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:00 am

You're very welcome. If you would like an Aussie "chaperon" for your time on Cobblers Beach, add a post to this thread or send me a PM as your time in Sydney draws closer. I can't guarantee that I can be there, but being retired means that I'm free to travel there most days.

Be aware that Cobblers is a small harbour beach and is very susceptible to tidal flows. Often, at high tide, the sandy portion of the beach literally disappears. Legal nudity at Cobblers is confined to the beach (sand); according to the local council sign, clothing must be worn on the adjacent grass verge. You can check tide times by asking Google: "tides Fort Denison Sydney Harbour". You will invariably be directed to the website of the Bureau of Meteorology. Hopefully, armed with this information, you can plan your trip accordingly.

Fort Denison is a landmark in Sydney Harbour - an actual fort complete with cannon - built in the mid nineteenth century to defend Sydney from unfriendly forces. Fortunately, these unfriendly forces never ventured into the harbour. These days Fort Denison is a meteorological station, used for measuring tides and other weather data.

Yours naturally,
AussieIan.
aussieian
Topless
Topless

Postby New_Adventurer on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:05 pm

Sad turn of events. First I got sick with a head cold that just sapped all my strength for two days, I spent two days in the hotel room instead of joining the touring group. Second, the tour company added more activity on the day I planned on the beach visit, so it would have been a tough decision. I will probably never get back to the South Pacific again, but I did successfully cross the Equator and the International Date Line on the same trip. The tour group is going to Belgium next year, so maybe I can find a European beach instead.
New_Adventurer
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby old guy on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51 pm

You got part of your trip anyway, that much is good.
Be sure and tell us about Belgium next year!
old guy
Naked
Naked

Postby aussieian on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:04 am

Hi New Adventurer,

Such a shame; thanks for letting us know.

It reminds me of how my wife and I flew from Sydney to Perth in 1999, intending to spend a fortnight touring Western Australia.

Upon arrival in Perth I developed bronchitis, and we spent a week in a motel - half our pre-booked holiday wasted.

Maybe, just maybe, you might make it down to Australia in the years to come ... here's hoping!

Yours naturally,
AussieIan.
aussieian
Topless
Topless

Return to Beaches and resorts