Naturist camping

Talk about general nudism

Moderator: Moderators

Naturist camping

Postby nudecamper on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:34 am

My usual favourite naturist camping experience is hitching up my caravan & crossing the channel to France once the weather is warmer & driving 500miles or more down to my usual naturist campsites. For US posters 'caravan' in this context=travel trailer. European caravans are generally rather smaller than US travel trailers though, mine is about 17ft long, weighs only about 700kg & tows nicely behind my 1.6litre diesel car. I previously had old VW campers but I got fed up with repairing them so nowadays I go for modern car towing an old 80s caravan I bought off ebay for £400.

Going back to past years I camped in tents & this is the cheapest option for UK residents who want a really good naturist camping experience. Car+tent & away you go. A ferry crossing by the shortest route from Dover costs only about £70return or less & all roads lead to southern France for some hot weather naturist camping in the summer months.

Do any other posters combine naturism with camping as I have always done? How do folks feel about it? Imho its the best way of enjoying a quality naturist experience & it is achievable by most. Obviously a teen who is interested in naturism might have to wait a few years until they are working & have a car but it gives them something to work towards if they feel they would like to enjoy naturism in their adult lives. For older folks, its much the same, if you are reasonably solvent, pack some camping gear in your car & head off down to southern France, its an achievable quality naturist experience.

This of course is the UK experience. I have never been to the US or Oz & I'm unlikely to go as I would rather spend my limited funds on Jul/Aug in France. I would be interested to hear every poster's take on this, including those from USA & Australia. The large French commercial naturist campsites attract mostly families/couples/singles from ajacent countries, apart from French you include Dutch, Germans, Belgians, Brits & increasingly those from the former east bloc, the newer EU countries like Poland etc. These campsites can almost be described as no different from textile campsites in the area except that you don't wear pants! Are there sites like these with much the same atmosphere in the US & Oz, I wonder?..Over to you all..
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Re: Naturist camping

Postby aylanna77 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:20 am

I've been camping once last summer, it is a ton of fun. My husband and his friends asked if I'd tag along so I did. Although we had a tent and not a caravan, but I think it is fun pitching a tent and setting up a fire, finding your own wood.. sure beats city life. The more remote the better, and its great to come across a pub/cafe in the middle of nowhere.. :) Actually I should scan my photos of the scenery nearby our campsite and post em on here when I can. Sure do it again.
aylanna77
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby nudecamper on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi Aylanna! was that a naturist site? There are in fact plenty of naturist clubs in the UK that offer camping to casual campers much the same as a commercial campsite. Plenty of these are very nice in rural wooded locations. 2 we have used in the past are http://www.naturistfoundation.org/ on the edge of London & http://www.broadlandsun.co.uk/ in Norfolk, nr Norwich. No large commercial naturist campsites in the UK as we don't have the weather & perhaps not the business. In Holland which has a climate much the same as UK. They have a large commercial site http://www.flevonatuur.nl/, all weather with large indoor pool & 3 saunas, I try to visit a couple of times a year.

Plenty of naturists in Holland & a slightly diffent attitude to naturism I think, loads of naturist clubs/campsites & beaches on coast & lake sides. I wonder what comes first though, the naturists or the naturist facilities? Build it & they will come, perhaps?...26 views & one answer? come on folks don't be shy. :mrgreen:
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby aussieian on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:49 pm

nudecamper wrote:. . . Are there sites like these with much the same atmosphere in the US & Oz, I wonder?..Over to you all..

This - http://www.riverisland.com.au/ - is where I go, at least once a year. In fact, at the end of this month I'll be there with at least a dozen other people whom I've "met" through an Australian nudists' forum. Most I will have already met in person, at River Island or a nude beach, for the remainder it will be our first meeting.

The two young "models" appearing on the River Island website were in fact two English nudists holidaying in Australia.

I've been going to River Island for ten years now. Beautiful location, friendly people.

Yours naturally,
AussieIan.
aussieian
Topless
Topless

Postby nudecamper on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:21 pm

Nice site Ian, the site looks similar perhaps to these French sites http://www.lecouderc.com/en/ in the Dordogne department & http://www.lagenese.com/ in Gard dept. I'm liking that Aussie caravan, a bit more solid than ours but you need a Shogun to tow it. Also worth pointing out that in the UK we say 'campsite' but I think in Oz & also US you say 'campground', yes?
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby aussieian on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:50 pm

nudecamper wrote:Nice site Ian, the site looks similar perhaps to these French sites . . . in the UK we say 'campsite' but I think in Oz & also US you say 'campground', yes?

No, it's still "campsite" in Australia.

No big caravans and prime movers for me when I travel to River Island. Just me, my diminutive Mazda 3 hatchback, and my two-man tent. My non-nudist wife convinced me that a two-man tent would give me room to move and a bit more comfort; she was, of course, right.

Yours naturally,
AussieIan.
aussieian
Topless
Topless

Postby aylanna77 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:58 am

nudecamper wrote:Hi Aylanna! was that a naturist site?

Nope, it comes under a national park I think and not an actual camping site. We know the people who live on that land and they gave us permission to camp there as they know we're quiet. So we stayed clothed, besides my husband's friends are not naturists and they don't even know we like a dabble of naturism! And they are guys.. If we did be free and camp in a naturist way, then it would be nice to have another female tag along with us. Don't get me wrong, I would feel secure but maybe a little embarrassed to be the only female. In the tent it was fine, I felt comfortable enough to sleep in my underwear or change clothes, but I don't think I'd be comfortable enough to be 'naturist'.
aylanna77
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby c5nus on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:39 am

In the past, I have liked camping primarily for the affordability. You can put your tent on the back of your bicycle or in a little trailer (we don't own a car) and off you go for some dirt-cheap holidays. But what I always disliked was the complication of changing clothes in the tent, as getting in and out of your pants while sitting on the floor is not easy (bicycle-adapted tents don't have a large height). It becomes especially uncomfortable when it is raining outside and you bring in wet clothes onto your sleeping bag (bicycle-adapted tents don't have a large apsis). The other annoying thing about camp sites are the showers with individual cubicles, where you typically have no decent place to leave your clothes out of harm's (i.e. water and dirt) way.

As we as a family turned to naturism, all these constraints just evaporated: You can just get out of your sleeping bag and leave your tent as naked as you are. If it is too cold, you can then put something on in all tranquility standing outside. If the weather is fine, you just take your soap, head over for the open shower area, clean yourself and walk back to your tent. By the time you arrive, you are dry. If it rains, you have a small towel handy in the apsis and quickly wipe your skin dry before entering the tent.

On the other hand, naturism is not just about being naked but also about being more connected to the natural environment. So it actually "feels" better on a camp site under the trees beside a river, lake or sea shore than in a concrete hotel. Even when we now visit my home town Hamburg, we no longer rent a furnished appartment, but rather go with our tent(s) to a local naturist club where we rent a little wooden cabin for cooking and as refuge in case of bad weather.

For me, naturism and camping fit together like a pair of gloves: One without the other gives not even half the enjoyment of the two combined.

Christoph

P.S. Regarding the question "What comes first though, the naturists or the naturist facilities?" my impression based on the situation in France and Germany is that the most important factor is the site: How is the climate and arethe basic amenities present (primarily swimming, then hygiene, eating, corner shop etc.)? The second most important thing are dedicated owners that are naturists themselves. If these two factors are in place, I find that the naturists will come. Were it differently, there would hardly be any naturist facilities in France, as the percentage of native French naturists is rather small (~ 1%), compared to Germany (~ 10%) and the Netherlands (~15%).
c5nus
T-shirt and shorts
T-shirt and shorts

Postby nudecamper on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:20 am

Indeed Christoph, your point about the sheer practicality of naturist camping is how I 'sell' it to campers who might be interested. When I tell people I go naturist camping their reaction is sometimes a flippant 'Ha! it saves on washing your clothes I suppose' & I point out it does just that. Whatever else it is, naturist camping is an utterly practical way of camping. When we go off to France for 8-9 wks Jul/Aug I take spare clothes but usually I wear the same pair of shorts & teeshirt the whole time. I only need them when I leave the campsite so I wash them about once a week & they dry during the day.

As for the mix of nationalities the Dutch do seem to dominate in France, followed by Germans & much less French. It does depend on the the site though, many French naturist sites are in fact owned by Dutch people & sometimes the campers can be almost 100% Dutch. Le Couderc, I mentioned is like that, mostly Dutch, in fact its like being in Holland in France. The advantage to Brits of course is that the Dutch speak English as a second language so it makes me lazy as far as language skills are concerned. I do try with my French though & at a French owned site like http://www.laulurie.com/accueilGB.html you will get mostly French campers & a much more French atmosphere although this site is popular Brits & we visit most years.
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby sanua_chap on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Memories...

As a teenager, I used to go camping quite often. Mostly with the local Scout group, but also alone or with others. You have just reminded me that I took the opportunity to go naked a few times when I was solitary and secluded. Skinny dipping and being naked in nature touched something deep, even though at the time I could not imagine ever going naked in company.

When we were first married, my wife and I would camp fairly frequently. It was quite fun, but mostly it was much cheaper than staying in a hotel or B&B when we were travelling. We had no money and no thought of naturism at the time. The children came along, and we took them all camping when they were young. The middle one took his first steps in a camp site in the New Forest.

We have not camped for maybe twelve years now, and are unlikely to do so again. The boys have our tents and other camping equipment. But we have stayed several times at Acorns, a naturist camp site in Devon. As well as pitches for tents, they have several rooms in the Farmhouse. Very warm and friendly, a great experience.
sanua_chap
Topless
Topless

Postby nudecamper on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:33 pm

Its worth pointing out that most French naturist sites offer accommodation in holiday chalets/bungalows, some quite luxurious & priced accordingly, also increasingly popular, large ready erected tents & 'eco lodges' etc. so it is also possible to arrive by train &/or plane for those who don't fancy the long drive from UK. At CHM montalivet over the years I have met Americans, Canadians, Aussies, NZ'ers, Sth Africans, all who have flown in & either stopped in the chalets or purchased cheap camping gear on arrival.

That a nice site Sanua, theres a fair few sites like that dotted around thye UK. It always amuses me when I go to Flevo Natuur, some Dutch seem to think the Brits are 'prudes' & don't really do much naturism & they are often suprised when I point out that in the UK you are probably never more than an hours drive from a naturist club. Not too many foreign campers at naturist sites in Holland for same reason there are not many foreign visitors to UK sites, neither countries really have the weather for it which is why southern France is full of Dutch & Brit naturists in the summer.
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby Offkilter on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:05 pm

On my Memphis trip I camped five times at nude places and once was so alone far from the beaten path that I declared "naked camping for all". In the U.S. east, most places are geared toward mobile homes and rolling caravans. Some leave their trailers the year round and pay a storage or rental fee. Small patches are set aside for tent campers like me, usually at quite a discount. Hope to roll on out to Southern California in my new (1988) Toyota Tercel and enjoy lots of springtime camping and hiking at nudist places, the state parks and national forests. If I'm really really fortunate some of my friends here may allow me to backyard my way along? I will shout out my plan and route (very back road kinda guy) soon, as to what states my state of undress might pass through.
Blessings, Billy
Offkilter
Topless
Topless

Postby nudecamper on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Sounds good Truro, a 3000mile road trip. About the furthest I can drive from my home in southern UK would be about 1500miles to southern Spain Or a bit more than that to southern Italy, a bit nearer is Croatia with hot summer climate & plenty of naturist campsites. You stay in the USA for the whole trip, we drive through several different countries. No waiting at borders though with the EU, the borders are open, you drive straight through without stopping. It would of course be possible to drive much further going east but this would involve leaving the EU & entering Russia, a whole different ball game, although some do it. Even Moscow is less than a 2000mile drive though. I will just stick mainly with driving to southern France though only 600-700miles.

You probably know that in the UK we drive on the 'wrong' side of the road with steering wheels on the right hand side of the car, same as Australia & Japan but different from US & most of the rest of the world. The difference is though that if us Brits want to drive in Europe we have to drive on the right side of the road with steering wheels by the kerb. Its something we get used to. As we drive off the ferry at Calais & onto French soil we have to tell our brains to 'keep right'.
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby John P on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:03 am

The type of camping that Nudecamper does really isn't my style at present. I have the honor of being the coordinator of the Naturist Society's Outdoor Recreation Interest Group, and really for us that means "Public Lands Naturism"--no, I didn't make that term up! I'm not much of a backpacker, though I have done it, and of course the objective is to find a place where one can set up camp in comfort and freedom. Similarly with my favorite activity, canoe camping, which you can do in Maine or in the Adirondack Mountains of New York, and I've done it in New Jersey and Pennsylvania too. We certainly have resorts and I've been to a few. Solair in Connecticut sounds reasonably like the European places, and it's a member-owned cooperative that's been functioning since the 1930s. But somehow, resorts strike me as a bit too organized and ultimately too confining--even if you can be naked, aren't you "wearing" gates and fences?

Wild Bill, you really should join my buddies and me on an excursion some day. We're getting to know Vermont better each year! But of course you know where my favorite spot on the Appalachian Trail is, and it's in Massachusetts.

But as maturity creeps up, I'm hearing complaints from my wife that lying down and getting up in a tent is becoming burdensome. And two of our best naturist friends just got a tiny trailer which they love:
http://www.scamptrailers.com/
Could we be heading for camping in a mobile box? Surely not!

Tomorrow morning my friend Dan and I fly down to Florida. Our pal Milt will meet us in West Palm Beach, and we'll head for the Ocala National Forest for a couple of days' backpacking, camping somewhere or other. Then we plan to get a backcountry permit to do some extensive walking at Playalinda, one of the accepted nude beaches. Then on Wednesday we head to Sunsport Gardens for the Midwinter Festival, where Milt has a trailer rented for the winter and Dan and I will use my big tent (carried there in Milt's car last month) until Feb 19. Then home again and maybe there'll be lovely snow.
John P
Topless
Topless

Postby nudecamper on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:47 am

Excellent, John, & those Scamp Trailers are interesting, very much the same size & interior layout of UK & European built touring caravans. Once you get a caravan you probably won't miss a tent. Down in southern France its usually hot during the day but you can get storms at night with heavy rain & its good to have a solid roof over you then. Image
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Next

Return to General