Fairlight Cove

Moderator: Moderators

Fairlight Cove

Postby newfreespirit on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:52 am

During the summer months i reguarly vist Fairlght Cove naturist beach Nr Hastings in East Sussex, it is a great stretch of shoreline with rocks, pebbles,shingle and sometimes sand and you can walk for miles naked or just relax and take in the sea air, the only negatives are that there are no amenities and it is a long walk from the nearest car park to the beach, but it is all downhill to get there but of course all uphill getting back but i dont mind that as its good excersise 8)
newfreespirit
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby Pete Knight on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:09 am

On my way back from Dover I drove along the south coast and it was my intention to go down to Fairlight Cove but I got distracted when I found out that there used to be a RAF radar station up above so I spent a few hours exploring the area on the cliff top instead.

The beach looked OK, didn't see anyone there though, not even through my binoculars, and although it was a lovely sunny October afternoon I decided against the trip down to the beach, knowing my luck it would have clouded over by the time I'd clambered down there, next summer perhaps, assuming we actually get a summer next year!

Pete Knight
Pete Knight
T-shirt and shorts
T-shirt and shorts

Postby newfreespirit on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:17 pm

Pete Knight wrote:On my way back from Dover I drove along the south coast and it was my intention to go down to Fairlight Cove but I got distracted when I found out that there used to be a RAF radar station up above so I spent a few hours exploring the area on the cliff top instead.

The beach looked OK, didn't see anyone there though, not even through my binoculars, and although it was a lovely sunny October afternoon I decided against the trip down to the beach, knowing my luck it would have clouded over by the time I'd clambered down there, next summer perhaps, assuming we actually get a summer next year!

Pete Knight

newfreespirit: You cannot actually view the Cove frm the clifftop because it is screened by trees and undergrowth but you can see parts of the coastline, on a good day there are many naturist using the beach along with a few textiles and some people camp overnight, i would recomend this beach to any naturist who dosnt mind a good walk and by the time you get home you will feel tired but surely rewarded, there is an album of photos taken at Fairlight Cove at my Yahoo Group which should give you some idea of how exhilarating it can be to be naked on this rugged but beatifull stretch of coastline :D

Link removed by mod.
newfreespirit
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby Pete Knight on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 pm

newfreespirit wrote:
Pete Knight wrote:On my way back from Dover I drove along the south coast and it was my intention to go down to Fairlight Cove but I got distracted when I found out that there used to be a RAF radar station up above so I spent a few hours exploring the area on the cliff top instead.

Pete Knight

newfreespirit: You cannot actually view the Cove frm the clifftop because it is screened by trees and undergrowth but you can see parts of the coastline, on a good day there are many naturist using the beach along with a few textiles and some people camp overnight, i would recomend this beach to any naturist who dosnt mind a good walk and by the time you get home you will feel tired but surely rewarded, there is an album of photos taken at Fairlight Cove at my Yahoo Group which should give you some idea of how exhilarating it can be to be naked on this rugged but beatifull stretch of coastline http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freespirit1g :D

That will be why I couldn't see any naked people then!!

If I could have been sure of a good day I would have made a greater effort to get to the beach, but as it was I couldn't be sure.

I can't see any photo's, they are restricted to members and I'm already affiliated to enough Yahoo groups.

Pete Knight
Pete Knight
T-shirt and shorts
T-shirt and shorts

Postby newfreespirit on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:48 pm

newfreespirit wrote:
The group is open membership you get instant access :D
newfreespirit
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby CGI on Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:45 am

i have tried once before but couldnt access teh beach, how do you get down there? PM me a reply please
CGI
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby Pete Knight on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:04 am

Well according to an article in the current BN magazine the steps are being repaired so access should be easier and safer, I'll give it a try next year, I'll be back on the south coast as I head for the channel ferry at some time.

Pete Knight
Pete Knight
T-shirt and shorts
T-shirt and shorts

Re: Fairlight Cove

Postby CGI on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:06 pm

can confirm that the steps are repaired, there is still a fence up, but if you skip through the fence and follow the path keeping the stream on your RIGHT, you can easily get down there. I wouldnt reccomend it for anyone who is not the mobile, the new steps are not that wide and the bottom opens up onto a few rocks which you scramble down.

I'm planning many visists over this summer, anyone who wants to meet contact me
CGI
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby Sam2000 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:18 am

Nice little beach, good fossil hunting as well, if that's ya thing.
Sam2000
Fully clothed
Fully clothed
Location: Southampton or Sussex depending on the time of the year

Postby Gappy on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:29 pm

I got there today! Lovely beach, at a brisk pace I took 10 mins to get down the beach. But on the way back I must of took a more scenic route and walked slower as it was about 45mins. Lovely countryside though. I took a windbreak and wish I hadn't as it's just more stuff to carry back uphill, and the rocks and cliff face shelter you anyway. Only thing I would advise caution with is the hidden rocks when you go swimming, 1 moment I was out of my depth but swimming sideways I then grazed my knee on a rock. Not a big issue if you're careful but those who run around and throw each other about in the sea need to take care.

I'll go back some other time.
Gappy
Topless
Topless

Postby Gappy on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:59 pm

I was back here today, lovely beach well attended by both men & women. I only spoilt it myself by losing my motorbike keys. I got most of the way up that hill then decided to look and see what pocket I put my keys in, so I had to go back down the hill, only to find out that some peole had found them, were asking those on the beach if it was their keys then left, so I now had to get up that hill again, straight away all the while carrying bike safety wear as well as my towels etc. So if you think that hill is bad once I have news for you! try doing it twice straight after each other!

Oh and big thanks to the 3 blokes (not sure if they're here or not) who helped manhandle my bike onto the breakdown truck (it couldn't get in the car park due to the height barrier). Without them it would of been a real task getting the bike to the van! But I got home safely and spare keys for everything I need were never so good to see.
Gappy
Topless
Topless

Postby John P on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:58 am

I'm currently in London and thinking about a visit to Fairlight in the next few days, most likely in the period Sunday-Tuesday (the 10th-12th July). The last few days' weather has been unsettled, but the forecast improves next week.

Anyone else interested?
John P
Topless
Topless

Postby John P on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:27 pm

I went to Fairlight Glen on July 11. I wonder how many people have been there and to the Ledges in Vermont within a week!

Fairlight Glen's entry in Wikipedia (yes, it has one) says that it's possible to walk there along the beach. I'm very doubtful about that. See the first picture for a view off the end of the seawall at Hastings. The beach consists of loose pebbles, rocks and debris from cliff falls, and walking isn't easy.
http://files.myopera.com/swim_n_paddle/ ... G_5137.JPG

It's much easier to walk along the cliffs, but it's about 3 miles and involves a fair amount of up and down. Plus if it's a good day for the beach, it's a hot walk with hardly a scrap of shade. Here's the path. Note that the view isn't actually great, as there is a lot of brushy growth between the path and the edge.
http://files.myopera.com/swim_n_paddle/ ... G_5143.JPG

This is looking down into another valley called Ecclestone Glen, which you must cross or go around (a longer route, but more level and with some shade). The person ahead is just a stranger, not heading for Fairlight Glen.
http://files.myopera.com/swim_n_paddle/ ... G_5144.JPG

Another cliff-top view.
http://files.myopera.com/swim_n_paddle/ ... G_5145.JPG

As is well known, the local council has placed a notice warning that the path down to the beach is dangerous. They've also put a fence across the path.
http://files.myopera.com/swim_n_paddle/ ... G_5146.JPG

Oh well. Over the fence and through the woods to nakedness we go. In fact the walk down was perfectly easy; I don't know what the council is fussing over. If some of the path has been rebuilt by users, they've done a fine job. The real issue is that it's a long way down and a long way back up. You need to be in reasonable shape if you expect to make the trip.
http://files.myopera.com/swim_n_paddle/ ... G_5147.JPG

A section of wooden steps thrown in the bushes, with a much more hopeful message!
http://files.myopera.com/swim_n_paddle/ ... G_5148.JPG

And here we are. By good luck, I was there at low tide, so there was sand. At high tide, you wouldn't see much except rocks, and swimming would be difficult. As it was, the water was a delightful temperature, the waves were calm, and the only worry was bumping one's feet on submerged rocks.
http://files.myopera.com/swim_n_paddle/ ... G_5153.JPG

Of course it's rude to take pictures at a nude beach. But this was for information, not thrills, and I don't think anyone's recognizable. On a weekday, there were about a dozen people there, mostly male but with a few couples. A decidedly middle-aged crowd. I took this picture from the bottom of the trail as I was leaving, and then walked away briskly!
http://files.myopera.com/swim_n_paddle/ ... G_5156.JPG

A panoramic scene.
http://files.myopera.com/swim_n_paddle/ ... t_glen.jpg

Nice place, not the easiest to get to, but I thought it was worth it. Train fare from the London suburbs and back was £26.30 (about US$40.00).
John P
Topless
Topless

Postby naturalian on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Before my wife had a severe stroke we used to go fairly regularly, there is a lovely long walk under the cliffs for about a mile, just idyllic on a sunny day! Even drove back from the car park by the caravan site all the way home(45 miles) totally naked!(After a very hot day and the walk back all uphill in just my shorts, sweating like a pig, it was bliss driving back home with the window open)
naturalian
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby Frankie on Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:04 pm

Visited this beach for the first time last weekend and enjoyed every minute of my trip. Having been to Brighton beach a couple of times this year and not liking it much I needed a change. After parking at the country park car park (£2 all day parking) and having read about the route to the beach was expecting to struggle to find it. Navigating by just heading down and then following the stream when I reached it, I found the beach with no problems. After about 15mins I reached a sign informing of cliff erosions and enter at your own risk. It's great this sign is here as it puts off anyone who is not heading for the beach. Having read that the path had washed away on a few sites, was happy to find that the path and steps down were in excellent shape (Sep16).Any cliff erosion must of happened years ago. At the bottom of the steps there was a sign saying clothing optional beach and after passing through some trees I got my first sight of the beach.
After my previous trips to Brighton this beach seemed like heaven, there were about 20 people spread out along the beach mostly nude. A mixture of single men, couples and families. The area around the entrance had a small area of sand near the sea and people were out swimming. Not being a fan of sitting in one place this beach is great for exploring, I managed to walk in both directions for at least 15mins and still didn't leave the beach. The right hand side of the beach has a rocky shore line but all along the top is shingle. The left hand side of the beach has a few more coves and sandy patches and after leaving the main area we're mostly deserted. Also on the left hand side and after an easy climb is a wooded area. This area is populated by single men, and not a good part of the beach for families. Witch is a shame as after moving up through the rabbit warren of pathways there are some stunning views of the beach.
Overal this beach has a great relaxed atmosphere and would recommend it to anyone, it's remote location has made sure that the only people on the beach are genuine naturists and others enjoying the beach. Despite no bins, I didn't see a single bit of litter. My only regret is I didn't find this beach earlier
Frankie
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Return to Beaches and resorts