Changing on the beach

Topics that are nudity related but not nudism

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Changing on the beach

Postby nudecamper on Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:17 am

It's all working Dino. Carry on with the thread.
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby Fellsnude on Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:15 pm

Perhaps it's all been said for now?
Mrs F and I don't do the towel dance on textile beaches, but we don't flaunt ourselves either. Change pants while still wearing top and sitting on a towel, then change or remove top, depending on circumstances. Nobody notices, and it takes seconds. (But of course that's only if it HAS to be a textile beach.)
Fellsnude
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby Dino on Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks. I wasn't just asking about this thread -- there don't seem to have been any posts on any topics apart from the Diary section.

That said, I'd still be glad to hear more responses about recent changing practices on textile beaches (realizing of course that most of us probably void them) in various countries. Personally, I can't remember the last time I bothered going to a textile beach.

As I've said, I know a long time ago there were many places where people never bothered much hiding under towels, but many things have changed in the world since then. In some ways, attitudes towards nudity have relaxed in many ways -- yet young people apparently find the idea of showering or changing in front of schoolmates or at a gym unthinkable.
Dino
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby sanua_chap on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:14 pm

Dino wrote:As I've said, I know a long time ago there were many places where people never bothered much hiding under towels, but many things have changed in the world since then. In some ways, attitudes towards nudity have relaxed in many ways -- yet young people apparently find the idea of showering or changing in front of schoolmates or at a gym unthinkable.

I have probably said it before, but I think much of Western society has polarised regarding nudity. Many more people are far more relaxed about casual nudity, but at the other end more people seem to be traumatised by it, or even by the possibility. No idea why.
sanua_chap
Topless
Topless

Postby nudecamper on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:29 am

Quite true. It take all types to make a world. People should be respectful & not force nudity on those who may not be comfortable with it. This is the point that might have been missed in the op. People may well change behind a towel on a textile beach not because they themselves are uncomfortable with nudity but out of respect for other beach users who might be uncomfortable with it.
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby sanua_chap on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:12 am

nudecamper wrote:Quite true. It take all types to make a world. People should be respectful & not force nudity on those who may not be comfortable with it. This is the point that might have been missed in the op. People may well change behind a towel on a textile beach not because they themselves are uncomfortable with nudity but out of respect for other beach users who might be uncomfortable with it.

I think the situation is less clear-cut than it sounds to me from this post.

Being respectful is a good thing. But respect does not necessarily mean doing what the other person wants.

I would not want to 'force nudity' upon people who are uncomfortable with it. But on the other hand, I am not entirely comfortable with the idea that being naked myself is forcing nudity upon anyone else: for me, forcing nudity upon someone would involve compelling them to be naked when they do not want to be.

I think that good manners involves not flaunting my nudity in front of people who are uncomfortable with it. But then, I think that changing quickly and discretely on a beach without attempting the towel dance is not flaunting nudity. Running around naked in front of people is flaunting it.

What is acceptable depends, in part, on who is present and how close they are to you. If the nearest person is 50 yards away, I would not bother with a towel, whoever it was, for example. If there was a family with a teenage girl close by, I would generally use a towel.

Never testing the water means never discovering other naturists, unless you manage to talk to complete strangers about it - not likely on any beach I have used. You can have the absurd situation of every person on the beach being a naturist, but keeping completely covered so as to avoid offending everyone else. Not likely, I know, but I think you get the point.

People who are never exposed to normal nudity in real life will never discover that it can be normal and nothing to get excited about. So we need to test the boundaries carefully and respectfully, so (a) we discover how the other people feel, and (b) help those who are unfamiliar become familiar with the idea of non-sexual nudity.

That is my perspective, anyway. So I don't think a naturist must necessarily use a towel on a beach in order to be sensitive and respectful to the people around them.
Last edited by sanua_chap on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
sanua_chap
Topless
Topless

Postby Dino on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:09 am

sanua_chap wrote:I think that good manners involves not flaunting my nudity in front of people who are uncomfortable with it. But then, I don't think that changing quickly and discretely on a beach without attempting the towel dance is not flaunting nudity. Running around naked in front of people is flaunting it.

I agree, and the premise of my original question is that it certainly used to be the case in many places that changing quickly on the beach without covering up was a normal and mainstream practice. No one worried about offending others, because it was an accepted cultural norm even among non-naturists. It was never an accepted practice on American beaches except for small children, but it used to be common for adults in much of Europe. My question is whether that is still the case in some cultures, or whether changing attitudes toward nudity we may have noticed as naturists have altered those cultural norms on textile beaches.
Dino
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby sanua_chap on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:58 am

Apologies ... re-reading the bit you quoted, I think I said the opposite of what I intended. Too many negatives! I have edited the post now, and I think it's right this time.

But I think you got what I intended to say.
sanua_chap
Topless
Topless

Postby nudecamper on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:01 pm

The op question might be difficult to answer because I would have thought nobody really takes much notice? I suppose if one wanted to make a detailed study one would have to include 'towel tokenism' which of course is holding the towel around one's self but not being too bothered about exposure. :mrgreen:
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby sanua_chap on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:55 pm

nudecamper wrote:The op question might be difficult to answer because I would have thought nobody really takes much notice? I suppose if one wanted to make a detailed study one would have to include 'towel tokenism' which of course is holding the towel around one's self but not being too bothered about exposure. :mrgreen:

'Towel tokenism'! What an excellent concept! That must be worthy of detailed sociological study.
sanua_chap
Topless
Topless

Previous

Return to Nudity and society