Naturist Hymns

Topics that are nudity related but not nudism

Moderator: Moderators

Naturist Hymns

Postby sanua_chap on Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:56 pm

This topic will probably be of interest mainly to fellow Christians, I guess.

For some time, I have been thinking that a number of the songs and hymns I sing on a Sunday are either naturist-friendly, or explicitly advocating naturism. Yet nobody ever comments on this. I thought it might be fun to pull together some examples, and maybe also to reflect on what (if anything!) this means for the way we talk about the relationship between the Christian faith and naturism.

As an initial example, I offer a couple of lines from verse 4 of 'My Hope is Built on Nothing Less' by Edward Mote.

Clothed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne!

It hardly needs pointing out that if I am clothed in 'His righteousness alone' then I am not wearing anything else!
sanua_chap
Topless
Topless

Re: Naturist Hymns

Postby calgarymark42 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:51 pm

Good thought! I'll enjoy paying even more attention to the words we sing on Sunday morning. On a less frivolous note, it could be good ammunition to bring to the extremely conservative wowsers who try to 'kill' naturism in the name of religion. 8) I expect they would claim not to sing 'those' hymns!
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Postby old guy on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:30 pm

calgarymark42 wrote:Good thought! I'll enjoy paying even more attention to the words we sing on Sunday morning. On a less frivolous note, it could be good ammunition to bring to the extremely conservative wowsers who try to 'kill' naturism in the name of religion. 8) I expect they would claim not to sing 'those' hymns!

or they'd say it doesn't mean what you say it does.
old guy
Naked
Naked

Postby sanua_chap on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:40 pm

Interestingly, the Hillsong version seems even more explicit:

Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless stand before the throne.
sanua_chap
Topless
Topless

Postby aussieian on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:50 am

Our church sings contemporary songs rather than traditional hymns :(

However, every three months at least a dozen of the older church members get together in a private home, replete with piano and organ, to "make a joyful noise unto the Lord". I refer to our periodic gatherings as "hymns for old folk". Actually the sound that all we enthusiastic old folk make is quite harmonious.

I haven't noticed any "naked bits" in the hymns that we sing, but next time we meet and the hymn books are passed around, I'll keep a watchful eye on the words of each hymn.

Yours naturally,
AussieIan.
aussieian
Topless
Topless

Postby tgg on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:55 am

"Just As I Am" is a good choice for a naturist hymn, I reckon.
tgg
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Postby Bydand1980 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:06 pm

This is perhaps not a hymn tune but it certainly is a very old religious song.

Faun - Adam Lay Ybounden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-7onTgOf3w

This was probably an old minstrel song from the 14th or 15th century and is about the bit in the book of Genesis where Adam takes the apple from the tree of knowledge.
The relevence to naturism is that it has an unusual twist, the idea of "blessed sin". The song celebrates an "upward fall" where carnal knowledge and awareness is celebrated as a gift from God.

Deo Gratias!
Bydand1980
Topless
Topless

Return to Nudity and society