Politics and nudism. Please read!

Topics that are nudity related but not nudism

Moderator: Moderators

Politics and nudism. Please read!

Postby popproject1 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:20 am

Hi everyone! I am a phd student at UC Irvine. I am doing a study on the political preferences of people in the nudism community. I've spent some time at the olive dell nudist ranch in southern california. If you could answer some questions for me, it would be a big help. It is TOTALLY anonymous, free, and has no strings attached. You are helping the nudism community gain legitimacy if you answer these questions. We are trying to shed light on the nudism/naturism community and show that they are a serious, valid, legitimate, group with clear political preferences and that nudism is NOT a sexual thing. Circulating these easy surveys would also be a great help, if you want to help more. My name is Eric Baldwin and my professor is Tony Smith, we are both employed at the University of California, Irvine. You can look us up and email us if you have any questions! :)
Here are the surveys!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WTW58YN

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WXQYN6D
popproject1
Fully clothed
Fully clothed

Re: Politics and nudism. Please read!

Postby nudecamper on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:08 am

The first survey relates only to the US so can only be answered by US 'nudists' aka naturists.

My answers to your second survey are...

1. I'm failing to understand the question.

2. Friends.

3. Yes & reasonably.

4. No.

5. No & never, I do not see any relevance of politics in naturism.

6. No, naturism is & should be a broad church.

7. None that I know of but I do not belong to any naturist organization.

8. The 'nudist' community should not be politically active, imo 'nudism' is a hobby.

9. No.

10. It would depend if they are nudists or not.

11. Not until you have fleshed this out a bit. Why would you be interested in the political leanings of naturists? As a non US citizen I would like to know.

It would be interesting to hear the views of other Cat's posters. We are all anonymous on here so there would be no harm in posting up our survey answers. I am hoping popproject is going to fully engage here on an ongoing basis for many years & not just make one post, never to be heard from again as is the case with so many students who do their 'research' the lazy way by posting surveys on random forums. So how about it popproject? Are you going to become a regular poster on this forum thereby harvesting the varied views of posters that come & go from here on a regular basis?
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby The Tibetan Hat on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:04 pm

I felt rather unhelpful in filling in the survey there, as I don't really feel naturism determines any of my political beliefs or behaviours.
The Tibetan Hat
Topless
Topless

Postby northlondoner on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:23 pm

I answered the second one. I agree with nudecamper about the view that should be taken on politics- naturist groups should campaign about keeping clothes free facilities and getting some more, nothing else. What the other views of the members of the forum are on political issues should be discussed on other forums, as I do. I don't think that having a sauna once or twice a week without clothes has any bearing on my political beliefs.
northlondoner
Topless
Topless

Postby Naturgesetz on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:12 am

I answered the surveys. I'm not going to try to remember my answers. Suffice it to say that I don't think nudism has anything to do with my political views.
Naturgesetz
Naked
Naked

Postby calgarymark42 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:23 pm

I viewed the surveys, determined that they were completely irrelevant to my life outside the USA and moved on.

I suggest the proponent indicate that the survey is focussed on US residents - or citizens - only, to save us all a waste of time.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Postby sanua_chap on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:58 pm

The Tibetan Hat wrote:I felt rather unhelpful in filling in the survey there, as I don't really feel naturism determines any of my political beliefs or behaviours.

I said basically the same thing, although I suspect there is some sort of connection. But, if there is, I don't think these are the questions to identify it. Still, good luck to anyone doing any research into naturism and related topics!
sanua_chap
Topless
Topless

Postby sandy_beach_cat on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:28 am

The questions are poorly phrased. Part of at least one is incomprehensible, possibly due to the use of jargon, or phraseology used in the USA, but not elsewhere. Was this survey just intended for the USA? If so you may have a problem with signal to noise ratio, as this is an international forum.
The first part of the survey does seem to just apply to the USA, as the racial mix of the rest of the world is a bit more varied, but native americans are in short supply. However, black people are rarely hispanic, but may be African, Caribbean, or rarely from elsewhere. Not often hispanic. the republican and democrat parties don't exist here, but lots of other parties do, and what's a primary anyway? Oh, and stuff like the supreme court will have a different role in different jurisdictions due to differences in the local constitution.
BTW, marital status may now include people in a wide variety of different relationships including just living together, civil partnerships etc.

Maybe try again, specifying your target demographic, or having a question asking where in the world the respondent is? Possibly refine the questions a bit? Did you pilot them first?
If it was all one survey rather than two bits, that might weed out the rest of the world, as we would quickly realise that it wasn't for us. As it was, I saw the post saying that the first survey was for the usa, and started with the 2nd one!
Best of luck with this
sandy_beach_cat
Sarong
Sarong

Postby sanua_chap on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:55 pm

So the general response is that we are questioning the aim of the survey.

popproject1 wrote:We are trying to shed light on the nudism/naturism community and show that they are a serious, valid, legitimate, group with clear political preferences ...

We don't think we are a group with clear political preferences. We are probably about as diverse in our political preferences as we are in every other area of life, apart from one shared idea: we don't think we need clothes when we don't need clothes.
sanua_chap
Topless
Topless

Postby nudecamper on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:23 pm

The op invites posters to email him but obviously is too busy to simply post on here & interact with posters.
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby aussieian on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:35 am

nudecamper wrote:The op invites posters to email him but obviously is too busy to simply post on here & interact with posters.

It happens - far too often - on this forum, and on the Australian naturist forum to which I also belong.

One instance that readily comes to my mind is a user who called himself "Bob Lucas" and who turned up on Cat's Chat as an Opening Poster in April 2007. He asked some profound questions regarding family naturism. Numerous board members gave lengthy, meaningful replies - but no response from Bob Lucas.

Lo and behold in 2008 he re-appeared, this time asking us to contribute stories. I politely rebuked him for his lack of forum manners - http://www.chatbocks.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3712&p=65519#p65519 - and this time, perhaps because I stirred a few memories, the responses to his request were far fewer. His last post on "Cat's Chat" was in 2009.

Similarly, on "my" Australian website, an older lady having doubts on self-image recently sought guidance from other forum members. Seven positive, encouraging responses later, still no reply from the Opening Poster. Sometimes you wonder why you bother.

Yours naturally,
AussieIan.
aussieian
Topless
Topless

Postby nudecamper on Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Yes Ian, one notices on the introduction thread how many posters post about once & never again. I think mostly it's because posters do not find what they seek on cat's. The op on this thread for example. They simply post up what amounts to a demand & expect us to be impressed, the op would have got more info by interacting with forum members. Not really a problem for me though, I tend to take a rather cynical worldview which probably reflects in my posting but the sense of humour is always retained of course.

I must admit I find the op quite amusing, it makes an awful lot of the simple act of removing one's clothes & enjoying the warm weather when opportunity presents itself. :mrgreen:
nudecamper
Topless
Topless

Postby nudewalker on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:02 pm

It's a fine line we walk and reply on the chance that there is help or guidelines for the poster. All too often we are the victims of trolls that only post to either start arguments among forum members or see what kinds of responses they get. I would rather error on the side of being helpful than ignore what may be an honest request. With the anonymous nature of these things one can never know but also be too careful!
nudewalker
Topless
Topless

Postby old guy on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:07 pm

at least this one posted something after signing up- far too many never post anything at all. Maybe our poster will come back, maybe not.
old guy
Naked
Naked

Postby The Tibetan Hat on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:16 pm

popproject1 wrote: You are helping the nudism community gain legitimacy if you answer these questions. We are trying to shed light on the nudism/naturism community and show that they are a serious, valid, legitimate, group with clear political preferences and that nudism is NOT a sexual thing. Circulating these easy surveys would also be a great help, if you want to help more.

To give the guy credit, he certainly had his patter down to a tee.

His research is about understanding how special interest groups become able to influence policy decisions, which has got to make you wonder if naturists are really the right people to be asking these questions too.
But again, credit where credit is due, the way he has completely ignored our responses here appears to show almost preternatural understanding of exactly how little naturists are listened to. The dude shall do well!
The Tibetan Hat
Topless
Topless

Next

Return to Nudity and society