CalgaryMark's Diary

Write about your daily activities and thoughts

Moderator: Moderators

CalgaryMark's Diary

Postby calgarymark42 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:03 pm

Back in 2005, Zatu created The Introduction Thread and posted:
So as to avoid a mass of separate topics for this common purpose, (and because the one in Act 1 worked so well) I figure we should have (an introduction thread). And so everyone can get a recap/update on everyone else, even if you're one of the ancient (guilty) omniscients (I plead no contest) of the forum, post so everyone else that joins knows who you are.

Here is my own information as the starting point for this diary in 2014, updated in 2017.

1. Name: CalgaryMark42
2. Gender: Male
3. Age: In 2017 - three score years and fifteen. Put another way, three-quarters of a century.
4. Etymology of name (if any) Mods note - This means your screen name, not real name!: Where I live, what my name is, birth year.
5. How you got into naturism: You will have to come back from time to time and read the rest of this diary - that is why I am starting it.
6. Closet? Social? Something in between? In between; in the closet at home, more open when away from places where people might know me. I know . . . we need to be less shy and more open. This is a big deal for me already!
7. Where you live: See 1 & 4. above.
8. Description of yourself: Retired, married; used to be busy with volunteer activities related to my church and democracy: Make Every Vote Count and Green politics; enjoy travel when possible. However, after a heart attack and stroke in the summer of 2016, I have cut back a lot. Thern I cut back even more in 2017 after surgery to replace two cataracts. As a wise person said to me, it is now time to 'be', not a time to 'do'.
Last edited by calgarymark42 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

How Did You Get Started in Naturism?

Postby calgarymark42 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:18 pm

Four of us were sitting round the dinner table at the resort, me new to them, they were friends and partner from several years gone by. One of the three asked me the question,

How Did You Get Started in Naturism?

and that's what sparked this tale . . .

Pyjamas
Aged 11, around 1953, I just stopped wearing pyjamas at home. They got twisted and wound up with seams cutting into the tender parts of my body; they were just downright uncomfortable. My mother must have noticed but said nothing that I recall. I continued to wear them at boarding school and when visiting other peoples' homes. However, the only times I have worn pyjamas since leaving high school have been when staying in another person's home or some communal dormitory-like setting. As Wendy in the burger commercial says, 'Now that's better!'
Last edited by calgarymark42 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Swimming

Postby calgarymark42 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:36 pm

I was in and out of the sea, lakes and rivers from a very early age and began 'real' swimming without water wings at about age six. So far as I know I always wore swim trunks, which gradually evolved from knitted wool :( to nylon to an even thinner, lighter stretchy material; what we now call 'Speedo's' regardless of manufacturer. These were always worn in public, at beaches and swimming pools and are still my second preference for swimwear. Those swim shorts and board short thingies - a real drag in the water and in my opinion they are dangerous. They do not even look good.

At age 12, I went to a 'big boys' boarding school, the equivalent of North America's Junior High; swimsuits were not worn in gym class when we were in the pool or at closed, in-school, events and I concluded I guess that's what big boys do'. Comfort, ease of movement, and no longer wearing a cold, damp and clingy woollen suit that never seemed to dry before the next time you had to wear it seemed like considerable benefits. I do not recall any sense of loss of privacy or embarrassment, except the day I did a really good belly-flop off the spring board, with no textile protection at all; that stung, all over! :oops: After that event, the gym master walked slowly the length of the 25 metre pool, came up to me (I am terrified now, as well as bright red and stinging!) ... and asked me if I would come to practice with the junior swim team! That meant even more time in the pool, free of swimwear - that could only be good, and definitely better than the cold, muddy football field or hot, dry, dusty cricket pitch which were the seasonal alternatives!

We used communal showers in a large, open common shower room after gym or any other sports event; again, 'I guess that's what big boys do' and there was no sense of embarrassment.

We had a communal changing room - there was no space for shyness or modesty, and changing quickly after gym and before the next class, there was no time for them.

The swimming pool was shared with other schools and colleges so we were always anxious to be out of the pool and into our 'private' communal change rooms on time in case we were seen by the visitors - which included a couple of girls' schools. We teenage boys weren't ready for mixed-gender nudity (I believe the girls always wore swim suits)!

On open days and during competitions, swim suits were always worn; I am sure that was why I usually came last in the races, the extra drag slowed me down :wink:
Last edited by calgarymark42 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

The Internet and The World of Naturism

Postby calgarymark42 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:49 pm

The Internet

Many years passed; I was rarely in a similar swimming or sports changing room situation. However . . .

At age 57, in 1999, we connected to this new (to me) 'internet' thing and discovered a whole world wide web of information I didn't even know existed.

I set about researching places to go on an extended vacation in Europe which would include London, Southern Spain, Portugal and Finland. I especially wanted to find out more about the Finnish sauna; the internet search led to a page called 'Nakedness and the Finnish Sauna', http://www.naturistplace.com/nudity17.htm which is part of a much larger site called Being and Nakedness http://www.naturistplace.com/ , which led in turn to a whole wider world; I had discovered ...

The World of Naturism.

First I explored the Being and Nakedness site (which is still on line in 2018 but not maintained; many links are defunct) and then ventured into the unknown, following various links. These in turn led to various other sites such as http://www.naturistplace.com/nudity16.htm on the same site that described various peoples first time experiences and a list of places to go to or think and read about and the web sites of several other writers and places. I also learned about and started lurking on the first generation of this forum, and then registered 'before the hack' in 2005. From Being and Nakedness and other web sites and forums, I learned about a couple of places that became my first adventure.
Last edited by calgarymark42 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Re: CalgaryMark's Diary

Postby nudewalker on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:53 am

Imagine communal showers! Yes, that's what the big boys did back then after sporting events and showering we would take turns standing naked by the sinks waiting our turn to shave. Now the campgrounds we stay at have individual stalls to undress and shower. Not long ago I walked out of a shower naked and was going to the sink to shave when a gentleman my age entered the building to shower. He apologized and waited outside until I had finished. Embarrassed? Not me; but it seems he was to the point of leaving. Thanks for taking me back to the "good old days" Mark!
nudewalker
Topless
Topless

Postby cony on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:08 pm

Communual showers, that is exactly what we had at school as well, and showering after sports was compulsary and no dodging out of it. I know that the girls showers had cubicals at that time.

Looking forward to today, I do not know what happens at schools, they have changed so much now. I also go to a local pool (to use the sauna) and the changing rooms have separate cubicals (in the past it was curtains, now it is a door). I have noticed that most of the younger people (by younger I mean under 30) when they change will either do it in the shower while they are there or in one of the toilet cubicals, and are still wearing their underware under their swim shorts.

Cony 8)
cony
Sarong
Sarong

First Adventure - Arizona

Postby calgarymark42 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:39 pm

I had attended a church event in Spring, 2003 in Phoenix, Arizona and after it was over, I had a couple of days before returning home. So one afternoon I ventured out into the comfortably hot desert to . . .

Eldorado Hot Springs, at Tonopah, I had phoned ahead and was assured of a welcome at this strange place - dusty and a gentle breeze that day, with continuous noise from the nearby highway and trucks coming and going at the nearby truckstop. It seemed like a tidied-up junk yard with various fenced areas behind which were tubs fed by the hot springs and little cabins for private hot-tubbing and resting; not exactly a resort! I selected the Lily Pond, which (then) was a galvanized steel cattle-watering tub fed with hot spring water from a garden hose; it overflowed into the lily pond. It would have been cozy for two people. There were a couple of old lawn chairs for parking clothes on and out-of-the tub cooling or sunbathing. There was a fence on two sides to separate the user from the open-air office and utility area, but it was wide open to the west and north. I undressed, feeling very ... er ... exposed, but it was an enjoyable and relaxing couple of hours in the sun and relatively clean desert air. Water temperature was managed by adjusting the inflow of hot water from a garden hose, and the outflow went to the lily pond. I followed that with dinner in the cafe at the truckstop. This was obviously a very memorable event, 15 years ago (from when I am updating this).

Eldorado has since been sold and the new owners have made changes. The website exists at http://el-dorado.com/. The former owners used to live nearby and for a while welcomed guests to their home looking for a soak at Casa Blanca. They too have moved on again. More information at http://www.casablancahotspring.wordpress.com Check them both out on line or at TripAdvisor before visiting. (Updated 2018 06 11)

The next day I nervously ventured out to the Shangri La Ranch at New River, north of Phoenix http://www.shangrilaranch.com/ I had phoned ahead and was assured that as a lone male I would be admitted as a day visitor, so that first hurdle was crossed. I arrived at the gate and was buzzed in by the person who answered the intercom, parked and went into the office. The formalities of checking in were easy and I was taken on a golf cart tour of the premises. The overall impression was dry, dusty with little vegetation ... well, we are in the desert! ... and many RVs, trailers and motor homes packed close together. Then I was dropped off in the car park by the pool and cafe and advised I should undress right there and leave my clothes in the car. It seemed so strange to be doing that, out in front of the people in the RVs but doing anything new for the first time feels strange. So feeling very vulnerable and exposed, I took my towel and bag of book, snacks and water and headed for a shaded place near the pool. (Shangri La has grown since then, there are now two pools and more sunbathing space). It was a pleasant afternoon spent clothes-free by the pool where vigorous volleyball was in progress; later I enjoyed a conversation in the hot tub with another visitor to the resort from the cold north. The sky did not fall, I survived, and all seemed well but somewhat constrained with a gated entry and obviously a private group which was not all that welcoming to a nervous, solo, male, white-tailed stranger. However, I look forward to returning when I am next in the area.
Last edited by calgarymark42 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Postby c5nus on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:25 am

Hi Mark,

Welcome here and thank you for your exhaustive insight about your way into naturism. It is not so unlike mine (which can be found elsewhere on this site).

It is really a shame that the schools seem much more restrictive about nudity nowadays than some decades ago, but I get the impression that where one avenue towards naturism closes, others (like this and other internet fora) open up new opportunities to learn about this particular topic.

Christoph
c5nus
T-shirt and shorts
T-shirt and shorts

Beaches in Spain - Glossary

Postby calgarymark42 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:38 pm

First, a glossary of some strange-to-me Spanish words:

Chiringuito (abbreviated from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
A chiringuito is a Spanish word that relates to a small enterprise, usually a bar, selling mainly drinks and tapas, sometimes meals in a more or less provisional building, often on a beach or loose surfaces where a more permanent structure may be unviable.

Palapa (Mexico)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: palapa (a Spanish word of Mayan origin, meaning "pulpous leaf") is an open-sided dwelling with a thatched roof made of dried palm leaves. It is very useful in hot weather and, therefore, very common in Mexican beaches, such as in Acapulco. It is perhaps one of the most important architectural contributions of Philippine culture to Mexican West cultures.

The name is given to those single-pole, palm leaf-roofed shade structures on beaches.

Hamaca - (according to Wikipedia) does not officially exist; the American English dictionary calls it a swing. The name is given to a plastic or wooden sun bed on a beach, and is derived from hammock. However you can rarely swing a hamaca from the single pole of a palapa ...
Last edited by calgarymark42 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Beaches in Spain - Cabopinho

Postby calgarymark42 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Several years later, about 2009, I was back in Spain; I had further researched what was where and discovered firstly, that beach nudity was generally accepted and legal in Spain (with certain, mostly urban, exceptions) and secondly there were a couple of beaches near where I was staying where clothes-free usage was definitely an option. So, braver and more confident now and with more internet knowledge, it was time to go exploring again. My constant companion, Katy with the frightfully English voice who lives in the Tom-Tom GPS/satnav knew where to go.

Cabopinho, also known as Playa Artola, lies between Fuengirola and Marbella on the Costa del Sol. Cabopinho is a busy area with chiringuitos, hamacas and palapas near the car park and apartment developments at the Cabopinho Marina which is very clothed, very urban, very busy and very noisy. However, to the west is a sandy strip about a kilometre long between sand dunes and the sea which is officially designated clothing optional; at that time there was a chiringuito on the beach with hamacas and palapas to rent, but otherwise you brought your own towel and umbrella and sat or lay on the sand. The clothes-optional section was much less developed, less populated and more relaxed than the urban zone near the car park.

Having walked (clothed) most of the length of the beach in the hot sun, noticing that there were people of all ages, shapes and sizes, clothed and nude, I decided that a shaded palapa and hamaca were very desirable. That was when I discovered that all the people there were totally naked and very comfortable in one another's company, or reading, or listening to music. It was just like any other beach but more sociable and free of clothes. No-one seemed in any way limited or embarrassed, very few had any white areas on their body, they were completely at ease. In Canada-speak: wow, eh? I realized that this was what I had been looking for, for several years.

It did not take long to take off the shorts and shirt, put down my towel, settle on the hamaca and take stock. The chiringuito required clothing, so people put on the minimum to go to the outside counter, or a little more to eat inside. People young and old were walking along the water's edge, as they do - some totally naked, some fully dressed and all sorts of half-way situations. No-one paid any attention to anyone else. It was all just so ... normal. I was able to swim naked in the sea, for the first time in 45 years, and walk the length of the beach several times wearing just a hat, sandals, my glasses and nothing else. What a wonderful feeling, to sense the water and breeze and sun in places that had not felt them for many years, if ever. During those walks, I reached the conclusion that if I could walk down the beach with no clothes on, I could conquer the world! My self-esteem went up several notches and I wondered why I hadn't done this years earlier.

Later that day, the strolling Asian masseuses made their way along the beach, and a relaxing full-body massage on the hamaca under the sun and in the breeze was a wonderful new experience. At the end of the day, I was wondering about and enjoying my new-found freedom as I walked back to the car and delayed putting on even minimal clothing until the last moment.

Since I was there for a week, it was not long before it was clothes off as I entered the clothes-free zone, to put them back on only when it was time to return to the car park. One late afternoon, standing on one foot on the very hot sand wearing nothing but a hat and flip-flop sandals, and struggling with my shorts, I was approached from behind by one of the masseuses who offered me her services. How do you retain your dignity, standing mostly naked, on one leg, while trying to put on shorts and the other sandal, and while courteously declining a massage from a masseuse on a Spanish beach when the only language you have is English? You quickly realize that being unclothed is far less important than it was a day ago!
Last edited by calgarymark42 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Beaches in Spain - Benalnatura, Torreqebrada

Postby calgarymark42 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:39 am

Benalnatura is the other beach near the place where I was staying. There is a newly updated Spanish language web site - search for Benalnatura or go to http://www.benalnatura.com/. This is very different to Cabopinho. It is an urban area, there is even a bus stop right at the top of the path and large signs advertising the presence of the playa nudista, at the top of the steps down to the waterfront. No hiding or being discreet here! You descend the steps and arriving at the beach, depending on the time of day, surprise number one: what you see first are the tanned, bare backsides of customers at the bar. Next you realize that the beach is overlooked by apartment buildings, but no-one cares. The beach is small and usually popular, rocky in places but mostly shingle and some sand, difficult to walk on in bare feet, especially when the day is hot. The water's edge is stony and water shoes are helpful. It becomes evident very quickly that this is not a clothing optional beach, (surprise number two): total nudity is insisted upon by the regulars who arrive wearing minimal, street-acceptable clothing. If you wear more than sandals and a hat at the chiringuito, service will be refused. This is jumping in at the deep end! It has the benefit of ensuring the gawkers (and the timid!) are kept away. The beach is really busy at the weekends (see the pictures on the web site); space is at a premium and one gets to share the conversations (in all sorts of languages) and second-hand tobacco smoke of all those who are near you. After a while you pick up your towel, wander over to the chiringuito, order a beer and a sandwich, sit down on your towel on a bench or log to enjoy them and again realize how very normal it is to be clothes-free at a beach. Benalnatura has outdoor fresh-water showers, and a masseur under the trees behind the chiringuito. If you join the society that operates the beach and cafe, you could leave your umbrella and sun-bed in storage if you intend to come back.
Last edited by calgarymark42 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Cabopinho and Benalnatura - 2013.

Postby calgarymark42 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:43 am

I returned to both of those beaches in 2013 and the feelings and experiences were the same, except that now I arrived with anticipation and excitement rather than trepidation at what I might find. In 2013, the chiringuito and palapas at Cabopinho had gone, leaving the area unserviced except at the noisy textile zone to the east. I later read on TripAdvisor that there may have been a fire, or a government policy which required relocation away from the environmentally sensitive dunes, and that the chiringuito has been relocated east of the marina.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Croatia & Germany, 2010

Postby calgarymark42 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:18 pm

In 2010 I went to Valamar's Solaris which is a mixture of campground and apartments by the Adriatic Sea, north of Porec in Istria. The coast is rocky, the beaches stony, but the area around the apartments grassy and wooded. There is a big clothing-required (C/R) dining building for breakfast and dinner and a C/R mini-market beside the C/R check-in area. The rest of the site is wholly C/O; a vast well equipped campground with everything from small tents to large (by European standards) motor homes. There is a lot more information here: http://www.valamar.com/en/apartments-po ... rt-solaris and in my detailed review on TripAdvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.ca What I could not (then) say on TripAdvisor is what a wonderful experience it was to be clothes-free almost everywhere, almost all of the time in the warmth of the sun, the bliss of swimming unencumbered, and I especially enjoyed the clothes-free brisk walk every morning just after sunrise from one end of the site to the other and back - about 4 km. There was also a cafe on the site which wasn't run by Valamar's management; they didn't require you to be clothed - so as soon as you sat down, the towels were loosened and just used for sitting on. They even provided cushions for the wooden benches! The on-site massage hut was a great place - sign up on the sheet outside the door for what you wanted and when you wanted your treatment. The hot weather meant that draping was unnecessary and even undesirable, so the massage was exquisite, done by a professional therapist.

From Croatia I crossed northern Italy, Switzerland and Bavaria to Munich by high speed train so I could go to . . .

Therme Erding https://www.therme-erding.de/en/sauna-w ... una-world/ This was a beautiful day after the previous long day of travel. I wrote on TripAdvisor:
Sensual Bliss in the Sun.
Having read some reviews I was able to spend most of a day here; I chose to just go to the Sauna Paradies (there's a lot more for families and the more adventurous; check the web site). The combination of sun, water, varied and imaginative facilities and not too many people (on a weekday, daytime) made for a wonderfully relaxing day. Recommended! Bare in mind that clothing is not permitted in the water or saunas. I had become accustomed to the German attitude to nudity at Solaris, so the relaxed and casual atmosphere was not surprising. Looking forward to getting back one day! One oddity ... we were supposed to wear towels or robes between facilities, but the rule was generally ignored.
Last edited by calgarymark42 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Spain, 2013

Postby calgarymark42 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:02 am

Camping Naturista El Portus http://www.elportus.com/en/ is a campsite near Cartagena, a long drive from my base near Fuengirola, but there was a reason to go there in 2013. Attempting the long drive on the coast road at the weekend was a mistake and it was with much relief that I arrived, eventually found my rental cabin, got rid of my clothes and made my way (more confidently now, in clothes-free comfort) to the shingly beach and a swim before meeting friends in the cafe for conversation, a beer and the evening meal. El Portus too is a place where nudity is expected and accepted everywhere; I could not find any policy statement about clothing optional or nudity being required. Wandering naked in the warm breeze along the beach at midnight, watching the full moon and its reflections on the sea made me feel even more surely that this is the way we are really meant to live (weather permitting)! Checking in at El Portus was the first time I had been asked to show my FCN/INF membership card, a measure intended to keep the gawkers out. El Portus is open year-round, so probably clothes are worn when the temperature suggests it is a good idea.

Playa de Chaparral, Mijas Costa, is a new, officially designated (by the local government) playa nudista, even with signs by the N7 highway. Being very new in 2013, it had not settled in to a routine when I was there. Another new experience! This was an unusually cool June and a strong cold wind blew off the sea most of the time, so the beaches were mostly empty. Swimming in the cold sea was not an option; the only people in the water were (fool)hardy children, or adults in wet suits, carrying snorkels and harpoons. The sun was good! Because the beach was newly designated, the palapas and hamacas were being installed while I was there; there is a little chiringuito and the newly placed washrooms were spotless. I later discovered that these two pre-fabricated buildings had been dropped in place by crane just before I arrived. The commercial area of the beach was literally beside the highway; screen fences were being erected by the time I left. Exposed gained a new meaning! I was the only palapa customer most of the time (if you put your towel on the sand close to the cliff, the wind is less and there was no charge), and the staff-to-customer ratio at the chiringuito was about 2:1. The presence of these facilities compared with Cabopinho made this a better choice. The parking area was across the highway in a disused shopping centre parking lot, but there iss a footbridge over the highway and the bus stops beside the chiringuito made it a very accessible and acceptable beach.

Update 2018 06 12: Google Earth in an image dated June 2017 shows more development at the site, better access and screening, but Streetview doesn't show the site as visible from the N7.
Last edited by calgarymark42 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

A Week of Bliss at Eden on the Rocks

Postby calgarymark42 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Paya Bay, Roatan, Honduras

A mid-March week in 2014, an escape from a long cold Canadian winter, during the equinox and progression from full moon to waning gibbous. I travelled alone (the dreaded solo elderly male) and was made very welcome; I was not alone, in that there was another similar traveller on my week.

This was a mystical naturist week at Paya Bay (PB); however there was not much mysticality; two tours off the property to learn about the native culture were cancelled due to not enough people wanting to go. The Garafuna culture night at the Black Iguana bar was too dark and too noisy for me - others loved it. I went for the remoteness from everywhere and an opportunity to do without the rest of the world (I chose no TV, there was no radio, no news, no need to phone, occasionally no electricity and thus no cellphone service, no clothes most of the time by my choice) for a week, to get sunshine and swim and read. I certainly got all that!

The welcome and friendliness of all the staff, from the earliest email exchanges with Michelle, to staff in the restaurant and including the resident family dogs and (protected) black iguanas, was outstanding. The overall acceptance of naturism at PB was a welcome contrast to my limited experience of most of North America.

The food (nearly always the meal of the day for me) was more than adequate, I hardly needed to go to the a la carte menu. There were times when it was evident we were in the Caribbean time zone and some meals took a long time to arrive - but always worth the wait. We North Americans are too clock-driven anyway . . .

My room - Cliffside #1 - I rate the best in the place for a single or a couple (this is not a resort place geared to or suitable for children). The view over the reef, the privacy of the (small) balcony and especially the continuous sound of the waves breaking on the shore underneath the balcony was what I was looking for. So restful, even during the rain and wind on one day and night. (Since my name is Mark, and I was in room #1, I was listed on the board as #1Mark. Michelle sure knows how to boost a guy's ego!)

Bliss Beach and the Black Iguana bar were the centre of inactivity. Recent storm damage (early 2014) to Buccaneer Landing, Lagoon Aqua and Secret Cove left structures damaged and beaches and pathways washed away. This made the west side of the resort challenging. When they are fixed, this area will again be wonderful - even so, the scramble over the rocks was fascinating and challenging but not for the infirm or fragile. This meant about a third of the area was out of regular service.

The secluded corners along the trails with a couple of chairs and a palapa are a wonderful idea and offer places even more away from all the rest of the away from it all.

A walk to the beach at sunrise, a swim in the early morning light, a shower by the beach and back to the room for clothes and then to the restaurant for breakfast: a perfect start to the day.

A sunset cruise to nearby La Sirena bar and grill for a drink and dinner with new friends, returning under the stars and no moon that night, was a magical and peaceful way to end the week.

Walking the easily accessible areas was relaxing - but I stayed on the beach most of the time.

Yoga led by Brooke in the wall-free, breezy Ananda pavilion high in the jungle was a fabulous experience, especially free of clothing and followed by fresh coconut water still in the nut.

A Bliss Beach outdoor massage by Blanca is a world-class experience.

The day-long boat trip to Pigeon Cay (24km/15 miles each way as the Google flies) was a great introduction to the islands, but a bit bumpy on my day there. Not a problem! It was our (the visitors) first day at PB and we were a little unsure of where everyone else stood, clothing wise, but it was cool on the boat, windy and very sunny so everyone stayed clothed. Pigeon Cay was already occupied by another boat and large family with definitely non-naturism-accepting ideas, so we suffered in our textiles . . . There were strong currents there that day, so snorkeling could have been hazardous. It was a restful first day after a full day of travel.

Snorkeling from Tom's boat was said to be good, but since I had vision issues and a sore back, I did not go; next time I will have underwater eye-wear and now (2018) I have had cataract surgery, my vision is much improved. The scuba divers (off-site) said they had a pretty good experience - not that we could see them ...

Paya Bay has a zoning system for naturism (zone 1: clothed; zone 2: topless OK; zone 3: why are you wearing clothes?) is a great idea, but is somewhat conservative now that most weeks are naturist weeks (32 in 2014, 33 in 2015; see http://www.payabay.com ) During naturist weeks, zones 2 and 3 are combined into one large zone 3. I would not be surprised to see changes for more widespread naturist (officially: clothing optional) use of more of the property in the future.

The companionship of the fellow guests was excellent - we were almost a family by the end of the week. (Thanks, guys!)

Would I go back? How soon can we leave?
:D
Last edited by calgarymark42 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Next

Return to Diary