The forum may go away for a short while

Latest changes to the board

Moderator: Moderators

The forum may go away for a short while

Postby Cat on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:27 am

The people that host the forum are changing the versions of software they are using and the forum doesn't work with it. They switched it over a few weeks back and it broke the forum and they have put the old versions back temporarily. They will probably be switching it over again some time this week. If they do then the forum may be broken for a while until I can get some help fixing it. I just wanted to give everyone some advanced warning. Hopefully it won't be gone for very long.
Cat
Admin

Re: The forum may go away for a short while

Postby sandy_beach_cat on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks Cat. I'll repost this on BN and naked Scotland if that's ok?
BTW one of the times the forum went down I noticed it was a very old version of the forum software. Would upgrading to the latest one help?
sandy_beach_cat
Sarong
Sarong

Postby Cat on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:21 pm

sandy_beach_cat wrote:Thanks Cat. I'll repost this on BN and naked Scotland if that's ok?
BTW one of the times the forum went down I noticed it was a very old version of the forum software. Would upgrading to the latest one help?

I tried upgrading for forum software but it failed to upgrade the database. No idea what it kept failing. I'll be trying some more things.
Cat
Admin

Postby calgarymark42 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Cat. I have re-copied my diary posts to a safe place, as those are the items I really care about.

I have noticed that there seem to be ever fewer posts on this forum - and several others I visit. What's happening? I suspect that 'social media' (which I don't use) may be taking over.

As ever, I thank you for creating, hosting, maintaining and sustaining this forum. I think you are providing us with a valuaed service, despite the apparently decreasing numbers.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Postby old guy on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Here's hoping it can be fixed!
I hope you can keep going, the forum is worthwhile (never mind most of my posts)
old guy
Naked
Naked

Postby Cat on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:20 am

I think the forum is almost back to life. Just one or two things left to fix and it should be good. If you encounter any strange messages or odd behaviour then please send me a PM and let me know.
Cat
Admin

Postby cony on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:10 am

Glad to see you back - you were missed

Cony 8)
cony
Sarong
Sarong

Postby Cat on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:31 am

Just a warning that a couple of posts may have been lost. I took a backup of the database a couple of times a day because I had no idea exactly when it was going to vanish. So there's a small chance that there were posts made after taking a backup and the forum going away that and these will have been lost. Everything seems to be working fine now so we are hopefully safe for quite some time.
Cat
Admin

Postby Cat on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Does the forum feel slower, about the same speed or faster than before?
Cat
Admin

Postby Petrus on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Cat, thank you very much for all the time and effort you have expended in updating Cat’s Chat.

I think that the site is working a bit a faster, but it is a job to be certain, as a lot depends on local factors

Just a very minor niggle: even though you tick the box”Log me in automatically each visit” it still necessary to enter username and password each time. This problem started at the beginning of the year. Peter
Petrus

Postby old guy on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:30 pm

Cat wrote:Does the forum feel slower, about the same speed or faster than before?

I seem to see an improvement
old guy
Naked
Naked

Postby Cat on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Petrus wrote:Just a very minor niggle: even though you tick the box”Log me in automatically each visit” it still necessary to enter username and password each time. This problem started at the beginning of the year. Peter

I may have now fixed that. Try it and see if it works.
Cat
Admin

Postby FrankT on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Cat wrote:
Petrus wrote:Just a very minor niggle: even though you tick the box”Log me in automatically each visit” it still necessary to enter username and password each time. This problem started at the beginning of the year. Peter

I'm still being asked to log on each time.
FrankT

Postby old guy on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Cat wrote:Just a warning that a couple of posts may have been lost. I took a backup of the database a couple of times a day because I had no idea exactly when it was going to vanish. So there's a small chance that there were posts made after taking a backup and the forum going away that and these will have been lost. Everything seems to be working fine now so we are hopefully safe for quite some time.

I'm glad it's al working.
My "count" is as I recall with nothing (that I recall) "recent" missing
old guy
Naked
Naked

Postby calgarymark42 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:08 am

FrankT wrote:
Cat wrote:

I'm still being asked to log on each time.

Me too. I use a password manager and 'forever' I just needed to click the P/W manager 'on' and Cat's Chat opened, in 'hidden' mode as I had chosen. "Then one day, everything changed" - I thought Cat, you had introduced a higher level of security so I didn't mention it. I now find, even after the most recent changes when I open the Chat, I have to log in. If the password manager is 'on' it fills the email and password boxes automatically, but I still have to choose 'Log me on automatically each visit' and 'Hide my online status this session'.

If this is a way to stop spambots, I am all in favour; to me, it is not a big deal.

Oh, and the speed issue seems unchanged - my speeds seem to be affected more by time of day in the UK and N. America than by the Chat itself.
calgarymark42
Topless
Topless

Next

Return to Announcements