Spam Attacks

Latest changes to the board

Moderator: Moderators

Spam Attacks

Postby FrankT on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:37 pm

As you may have noticed, we've been hit with a bunch of spam posts in the past few days. We're removing them as soon as we see them, and we're looking for a permanent solution to the problem.

It goes without saying that you should NOT click on any of the links in those posts.

I know we have several people in this forum with expertise in the Internet. So if anyone has ideas on how to deal with this, feel free to post them here.

Thanks. :)
FrankT

Re: Spam Attacks

Postby Toby_StH on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Spamming! Isn't that one of the most annoying things you can experience on the Internet? :p I haven't been very active here lately, but I trust you're doing the best you can to battle this phenomenon.
As for solutions... I can't think of anything... but you could kick the spammers and ban their IP-addresses perhaps?
Toby_StH
Topless
Topless

Postby FrankT on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Toby_StH wrote:Spamming! Isn't that one of the most annoying things you can experience on the Internet? :p I haven't been very active here lately, but I trust you're doing the best you can to battle this phenomenon.
As for solutions... I can't think of anything... but you could kick the spammers and ban their IP-addresses perhaps?

They have been kicked, And we've taken some other measures that we HOPE will keep them away.
FrankT

Postby Gappy on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:40 am

I know nothing about keeping spammers away but if they're reading this then I definately wont buy from anybody who ruins my enjoyment of a good discussion board so don't bother!
Gappy
Topless
Topless

Postby Cat on Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:30 pm

Toby_StH wrote:As for solutions... I can't think of anything... but you could kick the spammers and ban their IP-addresses perhaps?

It isn't quite that simple unfortunately. The IP address changes each time because it gets sent from all over the place. For the moment I've changed the activation method on here. Rather than allowing people to click on an email link I've now got to manually do it. I'll leave it that way for a few weeks until it quietens down. It's usually easy to spot the bots because they have names like robert109 or a random looking email address. Most real people wouldn't add numbers to their name unless it was the current year or the year they were born.
Cat
Admin

Postby sandy_beach_cat on Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:20 pm

I take it the software doesn't support one of those things where you have to type in random letters from a picture?
sandy_beach_cat
Sarong
Sarong

Postby Cat on Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:54 pm

Yes but that doesn't work very well any more. I did add something so you have to answer a question. I've changed the question to something more complicated and only a human should be able to answer.
Cat
Admin

Postby sandy_beach_cat on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Sounds good, or you could embed a picture of something & ask them what the picture was of.
sandy_beach_cat
Sarong
Sarong

Postby sandy_beach_cat on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:32 pm

& passing the Turing test, + a disclosure form!
sandy_beach_cat
Sarong
Sarong

Postby Gymnos42 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:52 am

Retina eye scan?
~ Larry
Gymnos42

Postby Nudezilla on Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:38 am

Dorsal Fin saddle back marking identification?
Nudezilla
Topless
Topless
Location: Serendipity Park, Cleveland, Georgia, Planet Earth, USA

Postby sandy_beach_cat on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Pigeon wrote:
Nudezilla wrote:Dorsal Fin saddle back marking identification?

??? explain?

Just in case any of us turn out to be a killer whale, I think.
sandy_beach_cat
Sarong
Sarong

Postby Nudezilla on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:03 am

Nudezilla's sister just happens to be a marine mammal veterinarian. You are correct about the killer whale, and Pigeon, speaking from experience, when some of us naturists are stretched out on the sand, we resemble beached whales! LOL.
Nudezilla
Topless
Topless
Location: Serendipity Park, Cleveland, Georgia, Planet Earth, USA

Postby Offkilter on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:25 am

Clear this up for me please. We have a random chat room, and this is most certainly not it, what is with all the chatting?
Offkilter
Topless
Topless

Postby FrankT on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:08 am

truro-n-free wrote:Clear this up for me please. We have a random chat room, and this is most certainly not it, what is with all the chatting?

Good question. :?
FrankT

Next

Return to Announcements