Fake personas

Latest changes to the board

Moderator: Moderators

Fake personas

Postby Cat on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:17 am

For some time now the moderation team has been aware of a number of fake personas posting on this forum. We have been in some debate as to how we should tackle the situation. Rather the immediately forcebly removing these individuals we are allowing them the option to leave of their own accord. If these individuals choose to remain then we see no alternative but to lodge an abuse complaint with their internet providers and request that they be prevented from accessing this forum. Think of this as an amnesty. We will not hesitate in taking further action against any fake accounts still in use from this point forward. There will be no further warnings.
Cat
Admin

Re: Fake personas

Postby Offkilter on Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Thank you Cat, and others who make this a comfortable community.
Love, Billy
Offkilter
Topless
Topless

Postby northlondoner on Mon May 03, 2010 8:12 pm

Just to say it is welcome and reassuring that you are willing to take action and have done so over the last couple of days.
northlondoner
Topless
Topless

Postby Toby_StH on Mon May 03, 2010 8:23 pm

I agree with northlondoner, it's great to see that you take actions against these people. Keep up the good work moderators! :D
Toby_StH
Topless
Topless

Postby ailsaman on Mon May 03, 2010 9:53 pm

I'd like to second and third Toby and Northlondoner - thanks to Cat and the moderators.

something never did seem quite right, and the shaving thread was a bit too weird.

Keep up the good work and hope Cat's continues to be a safe environment.
ailsaman
Topless
Topless

Postby SigmaTau on Mon May 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Ever since this original post, I had wondered if the folks in question were the ones you were considering... glad to see the problem resolved.

As above, thanks for your work on this.
SigmaTau
Topless
Topless

Postby FrankT on Mon May 03, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks for the kind words. :)

We want to keep Cat's Chat a community where all the REAL people feel safe visiting, and posting.
FrankT

Postby sandy_beach_cat on Mon May 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Well done.
I'll admit to the odd moment of "Are these guys for real?" myself. But there's no way of telling & you just have to take people at face value. Otherwise you just end up paranoid & If someone asks for advice, you don't give it, 'cos you don't think they are real.
sandy_beach_cat
Sarong
Sarong

Postby Nudezilla on Mon May 03, 2010 11:52 pm

Have to agree with the bunch. Some of the posts were taking a turn for the weird. Good job mods. The rest of us value boards like this one. Nobody said their job was easy. Thanks for all you do.
Nudezilla
Topless
Topless
Location: Serendipity Park, Cleveland, Georgia, Planet Earth, USA

Postby Blizz on Tue May 04, 2010 12:00 am

Call me naive or dopey if you like, but how can you tell if someone's faking it?

Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention, but did some of the stuff they were saying not add up?
Blizz
Topless
Topless

Postby Nudezilla on Tue May 04, 2010 12:10 am

Probably saying more than I should and perhaps reading more into the situation, but speaking as someone who has multiple commercial websites of their own, there are ways of seeing the exact IP address of someone who visits your site whether or not they buy anything. One can only guess that this could be the case sometimes. It would be a dead giveaway. Just know that the Mods and Admin would not take actions without thinking it is in the best interest of the board. We gotta trust them and their judgment, and let it go Blizz. They do their best to keep things real for the rest of us.
Nudezilla
Topless
Topless

Postby sandy_beach_cat on Tue May 04, 2010 12:23 am

Blizz wrote:Call me naive or dopey if you like, but how can you tell if someone's faking it?

Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention, but did some of the stuff they were saying not add up?

From our (non mod.) point of view, you can't actually tell for sure. Like nudezilla says, If the board software allows it, mods might be able to see where people were posting from, & that might not match where they say they are.
Otherwise the old adage, "if it seems to good to be true, then it probably isn't." is probably your best guide. As in does it seem reasonable to think that someone of that age & sex is really getting up to (insert whatever). but you can't tell. I keep a 'toon near the computer. It's to remind me & my kid that you shouldn't take anyone on the internet as being who they say they are. It's two dogs & a desktop & the caption is " On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."
But remember, it's a bit like Shroedinger's cat. People are both real & fake, until you find out otherwise. Treat people politely as real, but bear in mind that they may be someone other than who they claim to be. But you knew that anyway.

I, of course really am a large tomcat that can type. The avatar of a middle aged human, is of course a fake. ;)
sandy_beach_cat
Sarong
Sarong

Postby Nudezilla on Tue May 04, 2010 12:27 am

I KNEW IT!!!!! LOL

And I truly am really a large lizard tearing up Tokyo.
Nudezilla
Topless
Topless

Postby Gymnos42 on Tue May 04, 2010 1:11 am

I can't tell you how much your kind words mean to me as a moderator. :)
~ Larry
Gymnos42

Postby Paulus on Tue May 04, 2010 8:40 am

I did have my reservations about a couple of the fakes. Their stories were getting more convoluted yet they kept having wonderfull success in the parents accepting their suposed nudity. While not as fantastic as some of the blatant fiction I've seen on other boards, there were some things that just didn't ring true.

Although I think it is unlikely, perhaps the next very young lady who pops up with an interesting story might be the real thing. However, I will certainly meet their stories with great scepticism.

Thanks Mods for your behind the scenes work.

Paul
Paulus
Topless
Topless

Next

Return to Announcements